Supporting Rural Communities
North Carolina has made a concentrated effort to bridge the gap between the wealth of its rural and urban areas, largely through organizations like the Rural Economic Development Center and Golden Leaf Foundation. These organizations provide programs and funding for such things as entrepreneurship development, rural infrastructure, and workforce development. It will take continued efforts like these if the state is ever to resolve its urban-rural divide.
- For more on these efforts see the NC Rural Economic Development Center (), Golden Leaf Foundation () and Global TransPark ().
- Field and city, Winston-Salem, N.C., circa 1960. Item 0226287. Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee and North Carolina. Mount Le Conte and Emerts Cove. May 1954. Courtesy of the U.S. Geological Survey
- North Carolina Governor Bob Scott in his office. Courtesy of the North Carolina Office of Archives and History, Raleigh, North Carolina
- James Holshouser. Item ua023_024-002-bx0020-010-001. Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Hunt in legislature, 1979. Source unknown.
- James G. Martin, governor of North Carolina. US Department of Defense, Tsgt Hans H. Deffner
- Mountain Air Cargo, Global TransPark. Courtesy of Global TransPark Authority
- Groundbreaking ceremonies for Spirit AeroSystems’ facility in Kinston, N.C. Courtesy of Spirit AeroSystems
- Global TransPark, Spirit Composite Center, Aerospace composite training. Courtesy of Global TransPark Authority
- Bill Friday giving opening remarks at the Rural Center opening. Courtesy of the North Carolina Rural Economic Development Center
- Infrastructure project. Courtesy of the North Carolina Rural Economic Development Center
- Rural Center meeting. Courtesy of the North Carolina Rural Economic Development Center
- Group with Billy Ray Hall at podium. Courtesy of the North Carolina Rural Economic Development Center
- Tobacco, Hanging Rock State Park NC. flickr user bobistraveling
- Golden LEAF awarded a $200,000 grant to the County of Duplin in 2011 to support the Duplin County Livestock Facility located in Duplin County. Courtesy of the Golden LEAF Foundation
- Golden LEAF awarded a $250,000 grant to Pitt Community College in 2006 for the project Pitt Community College Mobile Welding Lab. Courtesy of the Golden LEAF Foundation
Add Your Voice
These efforts to help rural NC were important to improving the state's well-being.